Sunday, November 26, 2017

Journal Prompt

Since we are finishing out November I decided to address a prompt I had used earlier.  It was to make a list of things you're thankful for.  I am still thankful for those but today I wanted to address that again.  I am thankful for perspective.  In Google the definition of perspective is the way that one looks at something.  As I am getting older I love perspective because it is like putting together a big puzzle.  You look for similar colors, shapes, or objects so that you can make a big picture. And in fact sometimes you think you found the right piece and then continue putting the puzzle together.  But then you look back and realize that piece didn't go there!  I have realized lately that I am coming to terms with perspective in my life.  Part of that perspective is understanding what was important and what wasn't really as big a deal as I may have thought it was at a different time in my life.  Our lives have changed drastically and yet there are so many things about the change that have fascinated me.  I was given a prompting while we were on our mission that the area I needed to improve in my life was to be kind.  It is embarrassing to think that I needed to be told that and yet in retrospective I was not particularly kind.  Without that prompting I don't think I could have taken care of Scott the way he would need to be taken care of.  I am learning patience and I express gratitude often to Heavenly Father for helping me understand kindness.  I have learned to forgive and forget and even more important I have the perspective to understand the end from the beginning.  It is hard to watch Scott lose his sense of self, to be able to express his thoughts and feelings, to feel peace and calm when he is overwhelmed by noise, change, or unexplained fear.  Yet in spite of that he has a constant and that constant is me.  When he reaches out in the night he has me beside him to pat his face or rub his arm.  When he can't remember what a toothbrush is or what he is suppose to do with it he has me beside him showing him.  When he shaves for a minute but doesn't know what to do I am able to take his razor and finish cleaning his face.  When he takes a bite or two and says he is full I am able to encourage him to try a little more.  My perspective is that I know that when we meet again on the other side of the veil the most important piece of the puzzle is the last one and then the picture is complete and Scott will be whole again.

No comments:

Post a Comment