Sunday, May 12, 2019

I Hope You Know

Dear Grandchildren,
Today you have the opportunity to honor your mother and hopefully spend a great deal of time making it special for her.  In case you don't know how lucky you are I'd like to take a minute to tell you a few things.  I can do this because I have known them longer than you!  I will start with the mother I have known the longest, Aunt Amy.  I loved my boys but when I was pregnant with our fourth child I prayed that I would have a girl.  This was a very earnest prayer because I knew that the pregnancy would be our last.  When they told me that I had a girl I was happy beyond words.  That pink bundle of joy brought a softness into our home and blessed each of us.  The next mother I met was Aunt Cathy.  I saw her the first time when Uncle Bill was called to be a counselor in the Bishopric in the single adult ward.  I knew she was going to be ours even before she or Uncle Bill did.  Next to come into our family was Aunt Angela.  I still remember the first time I saw her because as she and Uncle Andy walked towards us I saw a beautiful woman who was the perfect match for our son.  Next came Aunt Becky.  Uncle Ben continually surprised me but when I saw them together and the confidence they exhibited with each other I knew that she was going to be ours.  Now these many years later I still feel the same way--I have been blessed to have four amazing women who I can call daughters and you get to call mom.

I hope you understand that every decision that your mothers have made from the day each of you were born has been to be your champion and cheerleader.  You each have a mother who strives to be educated, capable, and dedicated.  You have mothers who serve in their homes and who serves the Savior by raising a generation of excellence.  Thankfully, I have such smart grandchildren who are living up to that expectation.  What a blessing these four women have been to me.  I have so often been in awe of all they do and what they accomplish.  How grateful I am that I have been able to have their wonderful examples of service and love especially now that I have the opportunity to serve and care for Grandpa.  Lance Concord wrote, "I can imagine no heroism greater than motherhood."  I can't either.  Tell you mom today and every day how blessed you are because she is your mom!
Love, Grandma



No comments:

Post a Comment