Friday, February 21, 2020

There's a Reason

I learned a painful lesson this morning.  Unfortunately, it was painful for Grandpa.  He takes an anti-seizure medication in liquid form.  When we got it I continually struggled to get the lid off.  I finally took it back to the pharmacy and asked if they could switch out the lid so I could open it.  They did and all was well--until today!  I always give him his medicines at breakfast time.  I brought the bottle out along with the other medications he takes and set them on the counter.  I walked over to turn the computer on so I could download pictures I took of Owen last night.  I barely sat down when I heard dad make a sound.  I turned around to see him finishing drinking out of the bottle!  He probably drank about 3 or 4 tablespoons worth.  Normally he takes a teaspoon twice a day.  I called the hospice people and a nurse showed up a few minutes later.  She checked him and talked with the doctor.  I am now on monitoring mode to make sure his breathing isn't labored.  If that happens we will have to take him to the hospital.  He is sleeping as I type which she said would probably be the case.  I think he will be okay but I won't use the easy open lids again!

No comments:

Post a Comment