Monday, September 28, 2020

Mini Field Trip

 I went on a little field trip today as a result of something that happened yesterday!                                   I got a notice from Family Search that they had a tip
Grandpa and Grandma Hickey

 about my Grandma Hickey.    It was the birth certificate for my Uncle Mickey (my favorite).  In looking at it I saw an address of where they lived when he was born and decided that on Monday I was going to go and see if the house was still there.  And so I did!  The good news is that I found the address--the bad news is that it is no longer a house but part of the old Good Samaritan Hospital where your dads and mom were born and actually where your Grandpa was born.  And Good Samaritan hospital is now Banner Samaritan Medical Center and doesn't look anything like the original beautiful hospital.  I was also reminded when I got to the area that just a few miles east of where they lived on Brill  was the church that Grandpa Duncan and his family attended most of his life.  Something else I hadn't thought about but realized yesterday was that Grandma Hickey had her fourth of five children when she was 21 years old and that Grandma Lambert and Uncle Mickey were 15 months apart.  I got married when I was 21 years old and had Uncle Bill a year later.  I have to admit that I am pretty impressed with my courageous Grandma!

This is where the house would have stood back in 1926.

I took a picture of this house that would have been 
about 6 houses east of where their house would
have been.  It was probably pretty similar to what
was the designs back in 1920.


No comments:

Post a Comment