Tuesday, February 3, 2015

These Is My Words

This book was written by Nancy E. Turner.  I was interested in it because it was written about the Arizona Territories at about the same time my widowed great-grandmother came to Arizona.  Although it is fiction I loved the way she introduced so much of the history happening at that time in southern Arizona.  This book was well written and I had a hard time putting it down.  I was actually so glad we had the big snow storm so I could finish it off.  If you like historical fiction you will enjoy the story of Sarah Prine and her family. I was fascinated as I read this because I kept thinking about my great grandmother who came from Missouri in 1892.  I so admire her for her courage.  She and my great grandfather were moving to Arizona because he had Tuberculosis.  Before they left he went up to tell his family they were moving and to say goodbye.  The problem was--he didn't come back.  Finally her brother (who was also going to Arizona) went up to see what had happened.  He found that James Hickey had died from his TB but apparently his parents didn't bother to tell their daughter-in-law.  At that time my great grandmother was pregnant with my grandfather.  When her brother came back and told her what had happened she decided that she would still come to Arizona with him and his family.  The rest is history!                                                       Another interesting thing to me was the rattlesnakes, tarantulas and scorpions scattered throughout the story.  I lived in Arizona until my late 20's and I can honestly say I never once saw a rattlesnake, scorpions, or tarantula.  I'm sure they were out there somewhere.  I did see lots of horned toad lizards!

No comments:

Post a Comment