Friday, November 29, 2019

Happy Thanksgiving!

I don't know why but after at least 40 years of cooking Thanksgiving dinner with many disappointing results I was truly pleased with how well everything went and how good all the food was.  Thanks to help from Amy and Ruth and Christian we had beautiful pies, rolls, and helping hands to get everything ready and on the table at our appointed time.  I made the BEST crockpot mashed potatoes that I think were the hit of the dinner and tried a new recipe for corn pudding.  I loved it and will make it a new part of our Thanksgiving menu.  Thanks to Pinterest I found some great questions to ask that gave us time to reflect on those things we were most thankful for and the kids shared some turkey jokes that cracked me up!   I have to admit that I shed some tears as I listened to the various comments of the Whitney family.  This is a tender time as Lincoln gets closer to the time to leave on his mission.  I hope this day helps him remember how grateful we are for him and for Ellis and look forward to a time when we are all together again. I also introduced a Thankful Book (idea from a blogger).  Each Thanksgiving each person who comes for dinner is invited to share the things they were grateful for and then we will take a family picture that will be added to the book.  I hope that it will become something we look at each Thanksgiving day to be reminded of the many blessings that our family has enjoyed.  After dinner I also moved towards the Christmas season and challenged each of the family members to think about someone they admired or appreciated and send them a hand written thank you note before Christmas.  They all accepted the challenge.
I couldn't get Grandpa to eat but 1 spoon of mashed potatoes
but he did eat two pieces of lemon meringue pie!








No comments:

Post a Comment