Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Ruth's Essay

Ruth turned in her application to attend BYU next year.  She had to write three different essays as part of the application process and this is one she wrote.  She will find out in February if she was accepted but I don't doubt they will be happy to have her.

"My grandpa was dying. I watched as his body continued to function, but his mind deteriorated due to Alzheimer’s disease. My grandma selflessly served as his primary caregiver, but as his needs became overwhelming, my family supported her in caring for my grandpa. I am the oldest daughter in my family, and I realized that I was not content with sitting idly by as the adults in my life shouldered the responsibility. Instead, I found myself in a unique position where I could do a vast amount of good.

My grandpa’s condition caused him to become irritated, restless, and prone to outbursts. Some people felt uncomfortable around his unusual actions, but I never did. I made a point to engage him in conversation whenever I saw him, smiling along to his rambling speeches. Every time I walked into the room, he smiled, pointed at me, and called me his “buddy.” I helped when my grandma needed a break by staying home with my grandpa. We would watch shows and movies to keep him calm. His favorites were “The Greatest Showman” and “Coco.” When they came on, he exclaimed, “I love this one!” He enthusiastically sang along to every song. Many times he was brought to tears, singing in a quavering voice the songs that he enjoyed. When he was feeling agitated, I sang to him. When he heard my voice, he looked in my eyes and fervently said, “I love that one.” I often held his hand and he held back tightly, clinging to my comfort. When I spoke with him, I suffused my voice with as much gentleness and enthusiasm as I could muster, assuaging his fears.

My grandpa needed patience and comfort, and I realized I had the capacity to grant it to him. My actions were small, but to my grieving family and frightened grandpa, they were invaluable. In April 2020, I lost my grandpa to his debilitating disease. I am eternally grateful for the opportunity to serve him in his final years and to witness God’s love as he chose me, a humble and imperfect vessel, to serve such a profound role in His plan."  Ruth Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment