Thursday, December 2, 2021

An Embarassing Moment

On Wednesday nights I often have Graham and Eden while the rest of the Whitney's are at Mutual.  Aunt Amy teaches the teenaged girls and Duncan is in the young men's youth program so there are regular activities each Wednesday night.  Earlier in the day I drove to Surprise to have lunch with Sister Walker, a life-long friend.  While there I told her I wanted to go to the store and buy some pajamas that I could wear in the evening as the weather gets colder.  (I know you are all saying--Arizona gets cooler!)  I bought a cute pair of flannel pajamas with birds on them.  When Eden and Graham arrived they were all excited to show me their new pajamas they got to begin the Christmas season (a family tradition).  I told them that I got new pajamas too and that after dinner we'd have a pajama party and watch The Snowman together.  After dinner I put on my new pajamas and then we sat down to watch the movie.  Half way through the show loud music was blasting outside of my apartment.  At first I thought that my neighbors had lost all consideration for those around them and then someone knocked loudly on my door.  Mind you I'm in my pajamas, but I answered the door hoping it was my neighbor.  Instead out on the street, by my apartment, was a hay wagon full of youth from our ward who had come to carol to me.   I called for Graham and Eden to come out to see what was happening and tried to have them stand in front of me to preserve at least the little dignity that I had left.  After a couple of songs they pulled away and we all waved goodbye and I thanked them for coming.  My red face eventually cooled off and we got back to our movie.  I love my church family and they have gone above and beyond to reach out to the widows of our ward.  This is just a small example of what they have done for me since moving into the apartment.  I have to admit I spent much of the evening thinking about those poor traumatized teenagers who saw Sister Duncan in her new bird pajamas.  I have often said you don't die from embarrassment--you just wish you could!  Actually, I have reached an age where you can get away with a lot of things because many people just shake their head and say, she can't help herself she is just an old lady on the edge of insanity--and I suspect they are probably right!

No comments:

Post a Comment