Sunday, January 17, 2016

Missionary Moments #72--Jan 17, 2016

This has been an interesting week because in spite of having folders now we weren't able to work for three days.  We had to wait for our archive director to have time to go in and get us more probate files to work on.  They came on Thursday and we went down that afternoon and got busy.  He brought in 16 boxes and if my calculations are right we will finish all sixteen before we leave for home.  While we have been at the apartment I have started sorting through what needs to go and what needs to stay.  One of the things we have done since we started teaching our Sunday School class is celebrate their birthdays and our last of the original group turns 18 this week.  Yesterday I did some baking and made a Twix Cupcake which I am sure is worth 1,000 calories per bite!  I gave some to the Elders last night so they could tell me if they were okay and they came over later and assured me that they were great.  Now that the cupcakes are made I will pack up all of my baking necessities and will begin packing up things in the kitchen that we won't use (some of it we never used) and have it ready for when the mission office sends some missionaries to pick up our furniture and other household items.  

Yesterday we got a call from President Stoker.  He set up a time for us to come in and meet with him before we leave.  This is typical for the young missionaries and we are excited to get to spend some time with him.  He and his wife are amazing people and have both inspired not only the young missionaries but us as well.  The Elders told us last night that a typical exit interview for young missionaries was to talk about their mission experiences and then a reminder to continue to serve, get married, get an education, and continue to do things that will strengthen their testimonies. It is pretty nice to know we have accomplished some of that already!  I was thinking this morning how amazing it is that we have been out for 17 months.  As I look back it seems like just yesterday I was wondering what we had gotten ourselves into. What a blessing to be able to accomplish a significant experience that will truly change our lives forever.

Today Perry will speak in Church to give his farewell address before he leaves for the Missionary Training Center on Wednesday.  Although we won't be there I am so grateful for being able to know that whatever Perry sets his mind to it will be done with amazing grace.  I so appreciate the example he has always set for his brothers and sister and all of his cousins.  I am so excited for the wonderful people of Kentucky to have him in their mist.  His capacity to serve will be enhanced because of his wonderful parents, teachers, and leaders.  As Perry begins his mission we will be ending ours and although he will be doing a different type of mission we know that both his life and our lives will be changed forever because we were able to serve the Lord.  One of the greatest things I have learned since being here is that our young Elders and Sisters are amazing and I have had the opportunity to see first hand how the Lord qualifies whom he calls!  Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment