Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Update on Grandma

On Friday it will be 7 weeks since I had my momentous fall.  It is hard to believe all that has happened in that period between then and now.  I wrote earlier about all of the wonderful help that Grandpa and I received.  Now I will update you on what has happened to me.  I went to the Doctor last week and he said that I could take the brace off at home but that I should keep wearing it out in public.  The freedom of no brace has been wonderful and although I am not 100% yet I am finding that I can do a little more each day.  I go to the Physical Therapist twice a week and the doctor extended the therapy for eight more sessions.  It does help and I am always excited at how much I can do. At home I am not quite so agile but I hope that will come.  Every time I have to do something I think of my brother David who has spent most of his life adapting to using one arm and I think to myself "how would David do that?"  I quit taking the Oxycodone after about two weeks and only took over the counter Motrin when I needed help dealing with the pain.  It has been a couple of weeks since I needed even that.  I am on the mend.  I am humbled by many  things that others had to do for me.  Just standing up and sitting down created agonizing pain for a while.  I so appreciated Bev and then Bill (son) who helped me get into the bed at night and covered me because I couldn't reach the covers with my right hand.  I can do it myself now but unfortunately, I often wake Grandpa as I maneuver myself into a comfortable position.  The biggest challenge I now face is my own fear.  The thought of falling again is almost overwhelming to me.  Hopefully that will get better in time!  Amy gave me a wooden sign years ago that says--ENJOY THE LITTLE THINGS IN LIFE, FOR ONE DAY YOU MAY LOOK BACK AND SEE THEY WERE THE BIG THINGS.  How true that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment