Monday, February 11, 2019

Caregiver Tip

#3  Family is everything.
I have learned so much since this disease became a part of my life. I always knew that I had the most wonderful family who would help with anything that I needed.  What I came to understand when I fell and broke my shoulder was that not only will they help with anything--but that I didn't have to ask.  I was told when they would be here.  It was wonderful how quickly they were all communicating with each other to give and get updates and eventually to step forward and serve.  I loved the fact that your Great Uncle Bill and Aunt Bev were at our house the next day and ended up coming back several more weeks until I was able to take care of myself and Grandpa.  Uncle Christian didn't ask if we wanted him to spend the first night with us when I got home from the hospital--he just did.  Aunt Amy never let a day pass that she wasn't at the house checking on us or providing food and other things that were needed.  Although it required a full day of travel for Uncle Bill and Bruce and Abby they came.  When Perry and Ellis drove all the way to California to spend Christmas with their family they didn't hesitate to come with them to Arizona and spend one of those weeks with us.  Aunt Angela, who is helping her mother as she deals with serious health issues, still came to help both Grandpa and me.  Even Meg who was so busy with work and school joined her dad on a second trip down.

The tip I learned through this difficult time is that no matter what happens in the coming years our  family will be there for us.  I won't need to ask. But it is so important to tell your family what you are doing.  What you are worried about.  What is happening with Grandpa.  It is important to get their ideas and opinions and then utilize anything they share with you.  They each knew better than I did about what I needed and then made sure it was provided.  As I continue to share updates on Grandpa I can be sure that they are listening and will know what to do when I am not sure.

President Eyring taught, "Our most important and powerful assignments are in the family.  They are important because the family has the opportunity  at the start of a child's life to put feet firmly on the path home."  I have witnessed the results of  families who have taught their children to put their feet firmly on the path home because I witnessed the miracle of service that touched our lives during a very trying time.  I am confident that as the disease progresses, as it will, that I will have other experiences to show me that we won't be dealing with anything alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment