Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Caregiver Tip

#11  Forgive others and forgive yourself
I think that dealing with the painful reality of Alzheimer's disease is that it makes the caregiver experience a pummeling like a rough stone rolling down the hill.  I still have many jagged edges to be smoothed in the process.  Years ago I read Spencer W. Kimball's book, The Miracle of Forgiveness.  In my life I have experienced that miracle many times.  Afton Day once said; "Life is so simple when you learn to allow others to be inadequate!"  I have had to admit there are times when I too am inadequate to the responsibility I have as a caregiver.  I am sad to confess that dealing with the daily challenges as a caregiver I have required forgiveness many times when I lost patience with Grandpa.  I have had many times when I begged forgiveness and prayed for strength to keep going and to keep trying to be better.  I have also experienced the peace that is promised when we lay our burdens at His feet.  As I have come more aware of the reality of this mean disease I have found it easier to be more patient, and more kind in the responses I give to your grandpa.  He didn't choose what has happened to him and neither did I.  But it is here and I will rely on a kind and loving Heavenly Father who knows both of us better than we know ourselves.  He believes in me and I want Him to know that I  believe in Him.

I have often been frustrated and disappointed by others when I felt so alone and lonely  Why don't they come and visit?  Why don't they call?  But fortunately, the reality for me has been this question that always comes to mind--Where were you when others you knew were struggling, or needed a friend, or felt lonely?  I have fallen way to short in ministering to others and in reality we could all be better at caring for the ones in our life who need a friend.  I have made a promise to myself that when the time comes when I am able to get out and help others I will make up for the times I fell short.  The miracle of forgiveness is that we can cast our burdens, forgive those who we believe hurt or let us down, and when we let go we can receive an assurance that all can be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment