Saturday, April 11, 2020

Update

This morning I was sitting at the table and a white Dove landed on the fence in our backyard.  For some reason it really touched my heart.  We have doves and pigeons all over the place here but it is the first all white one I had seen.  I always think of the Savior encouraging the apostles to be harmless as a dove.  I think of dad that way.  He truly was a person without guile.  He never intentionally gave offense and never held a grudge against anyone who had done him wrong.

For a week now he has been on the bed.  I had to call the fire department on Friday because in trying to help him pull up his pants he couldn't stand and I had to lay him down on the floor.  It was 5:30 and they were very sweet to dad and to me as they lifted him back onto bed.  While he was on the floor I was able to change the sheets which I now have to do several times a day.  I am getting a little more adept at maneuvering him around so that I can get him put back together pretty easy.  Dad is worn out.  I am now giving only things to eat that he can swallow without chewing.  Amy brought Ensure over and I will start him on that.  He can chew and chew but can't swallow which causes problems like the choking yesterday.  I knew that he was declining but reality has come and I realize he won't be getting a second wind.  He is bruised from the falls but he also has a lot of scratches on his legs.  He continually pulls his pajamas legs up and reaches for his socks which I think has left scratches.  He sleeps off and on throughout the day and so far at night he doesn't move until the morning.  I am noticing some congestion but the swelling in his feet is no longer there.  He keeps his eyes closed and when he does respond he only opens his right eye.  Feeding him is difficult because he doesn't respond when I ask him to open his mouth.  The nurse told me to tap the spoon on his lips which works sometimes.  I feel good if I can get a bite or two down him before he refuses to eat an more.  His speech is also very slurred most of the time.  I keep offering him water because I think his mouth is dry but that hasn't changed the speech.  The nurse came twice last week and will be back on Monday.  She told me the caseworker for dad will be coming with her.  I think that she will help me start making arrangements for what will come next.  I will let you all know about that after we meet on Monday.

To be honest with you, I see no reason for any of you to come.  Dad doesn't know anyone and I will need much more help once he passes on. I will give you continual updates at this point so you can kind of know what to expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment