Sunday, September 4, 2022

On the Road

 Back on the road again!  I missed two weeks of driving as a result of bronchitis, an ear ache, and the worst of all—pink eye!  The next week I spent getting well and had the opportunity to help the Whitney’s while Aunt Amy took Lincoln and Ruth back to BYU for the new year.  The first day back after the hiatus turned out to be especially great.  I truly love what I am doing although I realize that before long, I need to step back and find other ways to occupy my time that doesn’t put so much wear and tear on my car.  This was a week where a quote I heard really hit home for me.  The world is full of fragile people.  Driving people throughout the valley has definitely shown me the truth of that quote. I think that I see the fragile but am in awe of their determination to feel better and to be better. 

I remember a story I heard at a Stephen Covey conference I attended years ago through my work.  The speaker saw of a man who was walking along the beach.  He kept stopping and would bend down, pick something up and then throw it into the ocean.  Another man watching was curious and went to see what the man was doing.  The man explained that the starfish had been washed up onto the beach and would die if they didn’t get back into the water.  The curious observer pointed out that he wasn’t going to be able to save all the starfish.  The man agreed but then pointed out that it would make all the difference to the ones he was able to save.  The curious visitor then bent down and began throwing starfish into the ocean.  I like to think that each day as I drive people around that a few kind words from me will keep my new friends from giving up.  That they might remember that someone smiled at them, listened to their story, and sent them on their way with a renewed purpose of getting better.   

On my ride this week I picked up a homeless man who had the biggest smile on his face although many of his teeth were missing.  He asked if he could bring his things into the car.  It was a big trash bag that he had slung over his back.  He held the bag with one hand and he held onto to his pants with the other because he had no belt and the pants were at least three sizes to big.  I took him to another facility where he hoped to get help to find a place to live.  He was such a sweet man and in spite of his struggles was as nice as anyone I have met.  Another man as he went to get into my car said, “I want you to know that I suffer from schizophrenia.”  I told him he was welcome as well as any one else who was with him.  He laughed at my joke.  On the way he began to tell me that he was a math genius and has been put into a restricted universe.  I assumed that was here and asked how he liked living in his restricted universe.  He said it was good.  I had a gentleman who was about my age who decided he needed to teach me how to drive better.  I was proud of myself as I moved into the lane that he thought I should be in and then proceeded to redirect me even though google maps was doing a sufficient job of getting him to his new destination.  It was probably easier to take his critiques because I had just dropped a lady off who had told me I was the best driver she had ever had.  In fact, I was so good she said she would talk to me while we drove because she felt so safe.   I love these fragile people who join me each day for a brief time.  I ache that our homeless population continually get Band-Aids for their wounds and are not getting the help that they truly need.  At least for a moment I try to let them know that they mean something to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment