Monday, September 12, 2022

On the Road

This is my final musings from last weeks drive.  

TENT CITY.  I had a brief reminder that no matter what your circumstances are you can take time to make your surroundings better than they may be otherwise.  I hadn’t been to tent city for some time and when I drove into the community of homeless people and hundreds of tents, I was again saddened that people live that way.  Once the passenger was out of the car and I was driving away, I saw a woman sweeping the dirt around her tent.  I was touched by that and remembered a trip to Nauvoo, Illinois many years ago.  Grandpa and I walked down the road towards the Mississippi River where the Saints who were being driven out went to cross over into Iowa.  Along the road they have now put up signs with quotes from journals of people who left at that time.  One that really touched my heart was written by Bathsheba Smith.  She wrote: "My last act in that precious spot was to tidy the rooms, sweep up the floor, and set the broom in its accustomed place behind the door.  Then with emotions in my heart...I gently closed the door and face an unknown future; faced it with faith in God and with no less assurance of the ultimate establishment of the gospel in the West and of it true, enduring principles, than I felt in those trying scenes in Missouri."  The woman I saw this week lived in a tent that may sleep 3.  Inside I suspect were all of her belongings.  I don't know what brought her there but it was her home and she still wanted to make it nice.  I was humbled by her gesture. 

I’M SORRY.  I drive all kinds of personalities.  Some of my passengers are honestly wonderful, friendly, and enjoyable.  Maybe that is why when I have a grouchy customer it really sticks with me.  One particular day this week I kind of started with that personality and by the time she exited I was exhausted and felt very sorry for her daughter whom she lives with and has to hear this continual complaining every day.  It just seemed like there was something in the air because throughout the remainder of my day I met several similar personalities and realized how exhausting it is to be with someone who lives under a continual cloud of misery.  After one of those rides, I thought to myself--I hope I never become old (wait—too late for that hope) bitter, ungrateful, and negative.  Then I also thought that in case I do become that kind of a person I should apologize to all of you ahead of time!  Please forgive me if I can’t see the beauty in the world around me. Please forgive me if I forget to say thank you.  Please forgive me if I don’t remember how wonderful each of you are and have always been.  Please forgive me for forgetting!

No comments:

Post a Comment