Sunday, September 11, 2022

One the Road

NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED.  I’m not sure exactly what that means but I’ve heard it all my life.  But this week I did a good deed and had a very interesting but messy experience.  I picked up a passenger in north Phoenix and I was to drive him back to Scottsdale about 12 miles away.  The first thing he asked when he got in the car was if there was a McDonalds because he was really hungry.  I broke a rule and since it was late afternoon, I decided he probably was hungry.  On the route home there was no McD’s but I spotted a Taco Bell and asked if there was something he could eat there.  He said yes, so I pulled into the drive thru.  He told me what he wanted and I repeated his order to the employee.  As we drove away from the window he started cursing and saying that they didn’t give him any hot sauce so I offered to go back around and get some for him.  Then he started yelling that they gave him the wrong tacos so I said I’d tell the lady when I got to the window.  I told her the problem (all the while the man was eating those wrong tacos) and she very graciously said that she’s have them make the right ones.  I then asked if she would include some hot sauce for him and she did.  Finally, back on the road when the cursing began again.  This time he was mad because she gave him mild instead of hot sauce.  At that point I had about all I wanted to hear and got him home as quickly as I could.  Once at the address I got out of the car, got his walker out of the back and looked forward to getting away from him as quickly as possible.  But no—he wanted me to carry everything in for him and so I did.  After he got out of the car and handed me his stuff, I looked in the back seat to make sure he didn’t leave anything and realized that there was food everywhere.  Once I got him to the door I went back and cleaned up the shredded cheese, lettuce, diced tomatoes, and sauce that was left behind. I made a mental note not to offer to stop for food again.  And to bring wet wipes in the car from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment