Monday, November 16, 2015

Fun Stories from 1938!

Even in very difficult times it seems there can often be found a moment that can bring a smile to your face. Our friend Tim Mayville shared a small book that he had found in the archives about the hurricane of 1938. I wrote about the book I had read earlier in the year about this famous storm.  This account was about what happened in New Hampshire as a result of that storm.  It was interesting and fun because I knew the towns he was talking about.  I wanted to share two stories that gave me a chuckle.

Ralph G. Page the author wrote, "Now that it is over funny things are being remembered.  Comical now it is all over.  But tragedies then."

Story 1--Ralph West of Marlboro raises a few turkeys each year.  Thursday morning they missed their sire. A proved gobbler of some three or four years and a displacement of over 30 pounds.  He returned Sunday proud no more.  Disconsolate in his nakedness.  He had just 8 feathers left!

Story 2--One cast iron casket was brought up when a tree fell in one of the cemeteries.  A Mr. Dennison spoke about it to Superintendent of Streets Wallace.  Wallace:  "I'll bet whoever was in that casket was surprised."  Dennison: "Wouldn't wonder.  What are we coming to when even the dead can't rest in peace." Wallace: "Don't know and don't care, but when I watch some of the men I have working for me, I believe that's where they came from."

No comments:

Post a Comment