Sunday, November 22, 2015

Missionary Moments #64-Nov 22, 2015

 I am starting a little late today because we had church this morning instead of at our usual 1 p.m. start time.  It was Stake Conference.  It is hard to get use to the idea that there is only one stake in New Hampshire, one in Vermont and two in Maine.  In spite of the small numbers the people here are amazing and we have enjoyed wonderful insight when they have given talks.  I have been surprised to realize that this week we will be celebrating Thanksgiving.  It seems like we just finished Halloween.  I am not complaining but time is truly flying by as we come to the end of this wonderful journey we have been on.  I was listening to a talk given by Brother Richardson this week and in talking about his mission as a young man he made the comment, "It was the best two years for my life."  That hit me so profoundly because this experience for Scott and I has been exactly that, the best 18 months for our lives."  So many great things have happened to us in our lives that it makes it hard to say that any one thing was the best thing that ever happened to us. But when I think of the various things we have experienced together since we started our mission service I know without doubt that that we have both come to know many things that could have only been experienced as we have served together.   

This week one of the first sister missionaries we worked with went home at the completion of her mission.  On Facebook they posted a video of her coming down the escalator at the SLC airport.  About half way down she started to walk down the stairs faster and faster until she got to the bottom then she ran into the arms of her mother and they held on to each other for dear life!  Sister Boyce and Sister Burton will always have a special place in my heart because they extended an invitation to me to do something I said I would never do again and because of their enthusiasm I accepted the invitation and it has made a huge difference in my life.  

Work continues to move forward.   We used up all the manila folders so that means we may have worked ourselves out of a job until new folders come in.  Our archive director said he would find some money so they could order more.  We are hoping that has happened and new folders will be here after the Thanksgiving holiday.  I found a fun document in one of the folders this week and took a picture of it.  I'm not sure why it was inside the probate files because it had nothing to do with typical probate information but it was in "mint condition" and the file we were working on was from 1854.  The paper was titled, "Correct Position of the Body, Hand, & Pen" and it was rules on how to write.  I am putting it on the blog tonight.  What can I say--every day we find something new and interesting to catch our attention.  Have a great week everyone. Happy Thanksgiving! 

No comments:

Post a Comment