Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Remember

I have always loved the scriptures I read about remembering and especially lately that has been a big part of my thought process.  I went on the Church website and typed in remember to actually see some of the scriptures that were in them talking about remembering.  I counted 287 times that remember was used.  In Alma 29:10 I read, ...then my heart is filled with joy, then do I remember what the Lord has done for me...then do I remember his merciful arm which he extended towards me. Another was in Doctrine and Covenants 8:5 which reminds us, Oh, remember these words, and keep my commandments.  Remember this is your gift.  On Sunday morning I was helping Grandpa get ready for the day and I talked to him about going to church.  He didn't know what I meant and at that moment I realized that without remembering you can't always feel joy.  If we don't remember the struggles we don't appreciate the good times in our life.  If we don't remember Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ we can't have the peace that knowledge of them brings.  If we can remember the blessings we can always navigate through the trials that will most certainly come.  I am grateful I can remember.  I remember all the good things Grandpa has always done.  I remember his willingness  to serve.  I remember that he kept the commandments.  I remember that he served his family and that he never gave up when difficult times came.  If he could remember now he would be able to smile.  If he could remember he would be proud of his children and grandchildren. If he could remember he would know that I love him.  But he doesn't remember anymore and joy isn't a part of his life right now and so I remember for both of us.  And I feel joy!  In Nehemiah 13:14 is says, Remember me, O my God concerning this, and wipe not out my good deeds that I have done for the house of my God, and for the offices thereof.  I know that Heavenly Father does remember and that Grandpa is not forgotten even though he has forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment