Thursday, May 31, 2018

The Truth

Dear Grandchildren,  When I was a child and other children teased us we would say, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me."  I have learned in my life that that is a BIG lie.  Words don't break our bones but they certainly can break our heart.  This morning in our typical stressed filled routine for getting Grandpa dressed I was helping him put his shirt on.  I'm not sure what upset him but he looked at me and yelled, "Elaine--you are an idiot!"  Now I know that he didn't mean it, but the shock and pain I experienced in that moment was stunning to me.  In fact, that moment hurt me more than when he kneed me in my face a few weeks ago.  I know I'm not an idiot-- but I have painfully repeated his words most of the morning and as I type this I have tears in my eyes.

I wanted to share this experience so each of you will choose your words well.  Grandpa doesn't have the ability to realize what he has done.  And in spite of the sadness I experienced at his words I will keep reminding myself that I am not an idiot--in fact, I am pretty smart.  Mean words aren't like sticking your hand in a bucket of water and when you pull it out it dries in a second.  It is like putting your hand in a bucket of grease and when you pull it out the residue remains and only time and effort will remove it.   Each of you have the opportunity to lift others with the things you say.  I hope you will remember my experience to make sure that you never contribute to others feeling in doubt of their self-worth.  Love, Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment