Thursday, August 30, 2018

Update

So much has been happening with all of our wonderful family and I have focused on that.  Now it is probably a good time to give an update on Grandpa.  I think the best I could say is that we are in a holding pattern.  I tried to think back to what he was still able to do and what has changed.  The most recent things I have noticed is that he can't always tie his shoes.  He knots them several times and before I can get them off I often have to un-knot them first.  Putting on his belt without help doesn't work any more.  He can get them through a couple of the hoops but either he has lost interest or just doesn't remember to go all the way around.  He isn't bothered by his inability to do things any more so that is at least a blessing in this forgetting process.  His eating remains pretty much the same.  Breakfast is definitely his best and throughout the day he eats less and less.  I spend a good deal of time coaxing him to try and eat a little more.  I wish I had to be coaxed to eat!!  He will have an occasional flare up of frustration but they are so rare and so short lived that I have nothing to complain about.  Getting him to swallow his pills is probably my biggest challenge but I just wait until he is ready and try again.  I am amazed that he can put the pills in his mouth and just leave them there.  I am sure they taste terrible but he never complains.  His only real complaint is that his arm hurts.  I plan to have the doctor check it next month when we go to his regular visit.  My biggest concern is how he will handle the move to Arizona.  I am nervous about it and keep going back and forth about how I want to do it.  Fortunately, until the house is sold here I can keep worrying about it but not deal with it.  All in all we are both doing pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment