Sunday, August 5, 2018

We Went to Church

Going to church each week has become something that I honestly haven't wanted to deal with.  I know that the whole time Grandpa is there he is confused and uncomfortable and one of the promises I made to myself was that I would do everything I could to help him feel safe.  That goal has required that we give up many of our usual activities and stay on a pretty regular routine.  Since he no longer has any concept of time and days he wouldn't know a Sunday from a Tuesday. This week I have actually yearned for the fellowship of our Sacrament meeting--the familiar hymns, the passing and partaking of the sacrament, the testimonies given, and the hugs from friends.  So I geared myself up and this morning I told (I have learned not to ask) Grandpa that we were going to go to church today.  In spite of the panicked look he agreed to give it a try.  There is nothing more comforting than walking into the Chapel to familiar faces and to smile because I know where everyone will be sitting.  Especially sweet today was the choristers face (Sister Andrews) when she saw us sitting on the back row and gave me the biggest smile.  That made me tear up a little because I knew I was home!  We left about ten minutes before the meeting ended because I looked over and could tell he had given all he had but we went to church today!  And it was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment