Saturday, April 9, 2022

On the Road 1

Part 1

I’m not sure I completely understand why I decided to become a medical transport driver in the beginning.  Much of my motivation was the fact I needed to get myself out of debt and into a more secure plan for my future.  Having two weddings and a large tax bill was plenty of incentive.  And being honest with myself. I never learned how to live within my means which prompted me to adjust my mindset and make that happen.  Another great incentive was that as busy as I try to be I found myself wasting a lot of time and also yearning to be around people.  The television noise is the background wasn’t filling the void that has existed since Scott passed away. 

After going through all the testing and training I began an adventure that has had so many interesting experiences and I found that what I have decided to do has been a perfect match for me.  I earn money each day.  I drive and I talk to a variety of people.  I see the good, the bad, and the ugly, and it captivates me.  I have listened to, talked to, commiserated and empathized with so many people.  I get to offer sympathy and encouragement and let them know that someone cares about what they say.  I have come to be reminded that I have been incredibly blessed.  I have gained confidence in being able to help me know how to help my passengers know—that I care about them, and love that they are willing to share some of their life's journey with me.   They often thank me when they leave the car but I can sincerely say “thank you” for coming into my life if only for a brief moment. 

On Sunday night I watched an episode on Call the Midwife which dealt with the issue of homelessness in the 60’s in England.  The nuns and midwives were extending their service to other community problems at that time.  That included the homeless people living along the docks.  They had lived in abandoned buildings and were pretty much invisible until those buildings started being torn down to be replaced with newer buildings to house the community and the businesses.  This in turn, drove the homeless out onto the streets.  In the story line, one of the characters in the story asked the question, “How do you do it?  Seeing people so broken with so much want?”  Since I have been driving, I have found that about 90% of the people I am transporting are because of some form of addiction.  The rest are being transported to and from kidney dialysis, cancer treatments, mental health challenges, and other illnesses that require medical attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment