Wednesday, June 12, 2019

I Don't Do Tired!

I found out something during the night that I'm not proud of.  When I am tired I have a hard time being patient with your grandpa!  Because of his falls I have purchased an adult bed rail that keeps him in bed unless I come around and let the side down.  It has been great because I hear him starting to get up and then I can tell him to wait and I come around and let the side down so he can get out safely.  It worked really good on Monday night but unfortunately last night it posed some problems for me and for him.  It started at midnight after I'd been asleep about an hour.  I heard him stir and then he started to sit up.  I asked him if he had to use the bathroom and he was confused and started to try to get out of bed.  I came around, let the bed rail down and helped him get up and into the bathroom.  No problem!  I got him back into bed, put the bed rail up and climbed back into bed.  After a while of finding the most comfortable position I finally fell back asleep.  About an hour later I heard him trying to get up again.  Again I got up and took him into the bathroom where he stood for a while and then headed back to bed.  After about 20 minutes I again fell back to sleep for about 20 minutes.  This time I was not feeling much charity to sweet Grandpa and when I got to the side of the bed he was trying to climb over the railing.  I admit it wasn't pretty as I firmly told him to get back on the bed.  Unfortunately, he was so disoriented that he wasn't complying and I think I literally picked him up and pushed him back onto the bed.  I can't believe it--I was the Incredible Hulk.  Albeit a very ashamed super hero because I wasn't feeling much charity towards Grandpa's needs.  This routine (without the appearance of the Hulk) happened about three more times and I finally gave up, put the rail down, and prayed that he wouldn't fall out of bed.  The spirit was willing--but the flesh was weak.  The night ended very quickly as I struggled to wake up this morning after a significant loss of sleep for both of us.  Some people become cranky when they don't eat.  They call them "hangry!"  I'm not sure what a cranky tired person is called but I hope that tonight is a little better for both of us.  I found out I definitely don't do tired!

No comments:

Post a Comment