Sunday, December 20, 2020

Blessing #22 of 30

 I received a Christmas gift from my ministering sister.  It is a book with a collection of paintings of landscapes along the Mormon Trail that immigrants followed as they came to the Salt Lake Valley.  With each picture there were quotes by actual members of the church who made that incredible journey.  As I read through the book I was touched by a quote by Louisa Barnes Pratt.  She along with other Saints stayed in Omaha, Nebraska at what we call Winter Quarters until the Spring.  From my reading of church history it was not a pleasant experience and they were very happy when they could continue to the Salt Lake Valley.  But I loved what Louisa wrote. 

"A cold dreary winter was before us.  I hired a man to build me a sod cave; he took the turf  from the earth, laid it up, covered it with willow brush and sods; built a chimney of the same.  I hung up a blanket for a door, had three lights of glass to emit light.  I built a fire, drew up my rocking chair before it, and that moment felt as rich as some persons (who have never suffered for want of a house) would to be moved into a costly building.  Thus we learn to prize enjoyments by sacrifice."   I have never lived in a house of sod.  I flip a switch and light comes on.  My home is heated by turning on a thermostat on the wall  I have a wonderful bed to sleep in each night and the worst thing I deal with is an occasional fly who likes to dive bomb me.  What a blessing we have been given to live in comfortable houses.  Even now there are people who live on the street in tents, or in their cars at the mercy of unknown dangers.  I have loved every house that I have lived in rather it was big or small.  And as Louisa Pratt so wisely said, I have felt rich!  

No comments:

Post a Comment