Thursday, December 24, 2020

Blessing #23 of 30

Good books are one of my great blessings.  I took for granted for a long time that being able to read a book was a wonderful gift.  Grandpa was such an avid reader and I have to admit it made me want to love reading like he did.  Someone wrote, "reading is dreaming with eyes wide open."  I experience that every time I pick up another book to read.  I have traveled all over the world within the walls of my own home.  I have learned about all kinds of people and experienced adventure, suspense, trials, love, and happy endings.  I have found my favorite authors and quit trying to read a book that I didn't love in the first few chapters.  I have laughed so hard as I read that I woke grandpa up from a sound sleep many times.  I cried just as hard as my characters struggled and mourned.  I have come to value history because of the lessons it teaches me.  And I have often changed my mind about things I was at one time so sure about.  I use to love hearing grandpa read to Aunt Amy and your dads and would often have to come in and say "no more" because he couldn't stop and it was way past bedtime.  I loved the look on his face each time he read a story to you grandkids.  I loved how serious he was and sometimes I'd see a tear roll down his cheek because the book that had been chosen by one of you touched his heart.  I read every day now.  Sometimes I stay up later than I meant to because I had to know what was going to happen next.  Or I wake up in the morning and read some more before I begin my day.  I don't read to escape--I read to experience.  John Martin wrote, "A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies.  The man who never reads lives only one."   It is true.  A good book is a great blessing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment