Monday, December 28, 2020

Blessing #25 of 30

I was so blessed to grow up in simpler times.  I often joked about grandpa watching Perry Mason and other black and white TV shows during his illness.  I said I could tell you "who-dunnit" before the first commercial after watching Perry work his magic over and over and over...again.  My confession is that even without grandpa beside me I still watch Perry Mason, Wagon Train, Gunsmoke, Leave it to Beaver and most any other black and while tv shows that comes on the television.  They are delightful!  It was in the 1950's when televisions became popular and I was about 5 when we got our first one.  I was a senior in high school when we got our first colored TV.  When I am watching these golden oldies I never feel embarrassed by the content.  I'm not assaulted with language that should never be spoken.  I am not red-faced by scenes that serve no purpose in the plot of the story.  I appreciate the innocence of the story line and the simplicity of the plots.  It is nice not to see bullets flying, bombs exploding, and profanity being spewed in every sentence.  It was nice not to know what was going on in the actors personal lives.  And political correctness had not entered the scene.  It truly was a blessing to have televisions but it is sad to deal with what the "market will bear" now.  I got to grow up when the television went off after the news of the day at 10:00 p.m. and the sign would come on that asked, "Parents it's 10:00.  Do you know where your children are?"  And in the morning the shows would begin after the national anthem was played.  Simple is best I think.  I'm grateful that I remember them!

No comments:

Post a Comment