Sunday, October 7, 2018

Update

There have been some changes in Grandpa and since it has been a while I thought I would give an update.  Grandpa takes four pills in the morning and four again in the evening.  The morning pills are for his anxiety, seizure medication, and two are for his prostate.  In the evening he take the anxiety medication again and his seizure medication, the Aricept for his Alzheimer's and an additional anxiety medication.  In the last two weeks it takes a great deal of time to get his pills down.  He tells me over and over he can't or that he doesn't know how.  I have had to just stop and then try again in a while.  My concern about the pills is that without the seizure meds he could start having seizures again.  His anxiety is high right now probably because of the impending move but I hate to think what will happen if he doesn't take them.  I looked up ideas on helping to get the medicine down but found little help.  They said to ask the doctor for other types of medicines in liquid form.  Unfortunately, our doctor here has not been particularly helpful whenever I have requested things from him so I will try again when we get to Arizona.  The good news is that I found a new neurologist in Gilbert and our first appointment is Novermber 19th.  In the meantime I will just keep trying to encourage him.  I am fascinated by how long he can keep those pills in his mouth!  Sadly, the second change is that he doesn't always remember what to do when he needs to go to the bathroom and about every other day he has an accident.  I don't need to go into details but I am sure you can understand how distressing it is to him.  It isn't as hard on me because I feel so bad for him and so I just help him clean up and assure him that it is okay.  I will eventually have to start using an incontinent product but am afraid if I do it to soon then he will completely stop trying and I don't want that for him.  Other than that he is doing okay.  His eating is about the same and so that is not been a problem.  I do cut up his food but he hasn't had any problems swallowing his food so that is good.

Getting him to Arizona is the thing I am most concerned about.  Going in the car just to the shopping area is really hard now but I know that I have to keep some sort of routine before we head to Arizona.  I am very grateful that Aunt Bev is willing to come over and drive back with us.  Between the two of us I hope we can keep him safe and in the car!  Our plan is to pick up the UHaul on November 2 and load some of our stuff that afternoon and finish on Saturday morning.  Uncle David will drive the UHaul back to Arizona.

We haven't found a place to live yet but hope to have some answers this week.
Conference Watching!

Conference Napping!

No comments:

Post a Comment