Tuesday, March 5, 2019

He was My Friend!

Today I attended the funeral of Barry Walker.  Their family moved to Victorville about the same time we did.  Barry was a navigator on the F4s and Barb became a dear friend.  Because of the military they moved often but one of the miracles of our friendship is that it continued for over 30 years.  Barry was diagnosed with a brain tumor a short time ago.  On Friday, March 1st he passed away.  That morning I told your Grandpa that Barry Walker died.  He got teary eyed and said, "He was my friend."  He was his friend and I was touched that for a brief moment he remembered.

They had a beautiful display of pictures and things that were important to Barry on display at the Church.  Two things there touched my heart.  The first was the family pictures they had taken by Aunt Amy just two months ago.  At the time I had said to her that she was probably taking the most important pictures their family will have.  The other was a basket of little pink lapel pins with I heart on it.  Barb wore a similar pin from the time I met her.  It said, I (heart) Barry!  I was always amazed at the love that they had for each other.  And will have through eternity.  Barry left behind a wonderful legacy of awesome and kind children and a wife who will mourn his loss until they meet again.  I treasure my friendship with such wonderful people!

No comments:

Post a Comment