Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Update

It has been a while since I have given an update on dad.  I think that it is because we seem to be in a holding pattern.  Nothing significant to report but I see subtle things that shows me that the disease is advancing.  One of the real challenges I have is knowing when I need to be concerned.  I worry that I am so much a part of everything that I may even have a tendency to under-react.  I am glad that the weather is becoming a little more moderate (sorry for those of you that have no idea what that is like!).  He is so cold all the time that I keep a jacket on him most of the time and had an extra blanket on the bed for him.  I on the other hand run around in flip flops and capris and I have probably worn a sweater once or twice this year.  He has lost so much weight that I am sure that contributes to his discomfort.  I think that your dad is going to be an anomaly.  When I read the stages of Alzheimer's disease the majority of his behaviors are in the severe stage.  The exception is his ability to talk.  He doesn't always make sense and definitely repeats most everything he says over and over again.  But I can understand the words he says.  According to the information he will eventually stop talking and will be unable to walk.  I see no signs of that at all.  In all other aspects he needs complete care and a number of times in the last week he has had accidents.  I have to admit having the Depends has been a life saver.  I am sorry I hesitated so long to have him start using them.  For a while he couldn't swallow his pills and often chocked but now he just pops them in and swallows them down.  He always tries but most of the time he isn't able to tie his shoes.  When he does there are several knots that I have to undo before I can get them off of him.  He is sleeping so much better and even when he gets up and down for a while he eventually crawls back in bed and sleeps soundly.  I have been surprised a number of times when I looked at the clock and it is after 8 a.m.  Only in a unique situation do I take him in stores and when I do I often regret it.  Quiet is not his thing and I often worry that he might say something inappropriate before we get out!  It is a challenge when I am ordering food at the drive thru because he wants to have a conversation with the speaker which had created some confusion!  I think he is much calmer--even when he has a melt down it is not as extreme as it use to be and usually very short lived.  I can handle that.  Right now getting him to eat is the challenge.  He takes a few bites and he's done.  I have started spacing things out.  Like for breakfast I just give him juice and cereal.  An hour later I will offer him a toasted English muffin or fruit.  The time he eats the best is when we go get a burger or something similar.  I think he does well with that because he can't get up and walk away.  Our car is a mess but it is worth it.  Ice cream is definitely his best friend.  On days where he struggles to eat I take him to Dairy Queen and he gobbles down a blizzard like nobody's business.  I am not above bribing!  All in all things are manageable and hopefully I am right and he will talk right to the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment