Monday, November 10, 2014

More Names

We are in the 1870s now and I'm still enjoying the names we find as we go through the probate files.  I hope you understand that I love these names.  Not to laugh at but to be fascinated by the story behind each one. What were the parents thinking?  Did the child love their name?  Were they teased because of their name? Did they have a nickname?  My mother-in-laws name was Gerlene Olive and she told me once that she did not like her name very much. Now I love it and wish I would have told her that when she made that statement to me.  Enjoy the names we have found.

Persis, Ai, Comfort, Willie, Wattie Grace, Hulda, Lavina Joy,
Mesheck, Anda, Nellie, Rhonda, Rosamond, Ithamer, Anner,
Permelia, Olive, Jerusha, Sophia, Ebenezer, Silas, Perby, Eureline,
and Gardner Green

Something else I have discovered is that there really were Doe's.  Mary, Andrew, and other first names to go along with the name Doe.  I always thought that Jane and John Doe were make up names when the person was unidentifiable.  Now I know better.

No comments:

Post a Comment