Sunday, November 9, 2014

Our Town

My latest read has been Our Town by Thornton Wilder.  I had read this when I was a senior in high school and I remember being so sad and crying as Emily said good-bye.  This time when I read it I had such a different feeling.  A feeling of understanding and comfort in knowing that we are on a wonderful journey that doesn't end here and just importantly that life will go on for those left behind.  I found the play quite intriguing because it supposedly takes place in a small town in New Hampshire.  An imaginary town I have found out.  But the play was actually written in the 1930s at an artists colony in Peterborough, New Hampshire not far from Concord.  In the play the stage manager said, "You know how it is: you're twenty-one or twenty-two and you make some decisions; then whisssh! you're seventy: you been a lawyer for fifty years, and that white-haired lady at your side has eaten over fifty thousands meals with you."  Sometimes I look back in my life and I can't believe how much has happened.  I can't believe my children all grew up, married wonderful spouses, had children and before they even realize it they will look back and wonder how it could have passed by so quickly.  I think Our Town reminded me of what the gospel has always taught, there is purpose and order in everything we do and although we are only here for a short time it is our responsibility to make sure we cherish the gifts and time we have been given.  I also admit that Owen was the Stage Manager in his school play of Our Town which I know was one of the best plays ever produced in Fargo, North Dakota!  If you haven't read Our Town for a while you might enjoy a second read.

No comments:

Post a Comment