Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Blessing #3 of 30

I am grateful that I was the child of the "greatest generation."  I recently watched a documentary on the Roosevelts, both Teddy and Franklin.  I realized something while watching it that I hadn't really thought of before.  Much of my parents childhood occurred during the depression years.  My mom and my dads' stories were much different because my Grandpa Hickey worked as a fireman throughout the depression and although their family had struggles it was nothing compared to life my father lived during that time.  My father left home when he was about 12 years old, jumped on a passing train and ended up in California working on a dairy farm.  He loved the farmer he worked for but was worried about his sisters and brother and so he left in a year even though the farmer told him he wanted him to stay with them.  That same "great depression" eventually brought my dad to Phoenix as a member of the CCC making a park on South Mountain just south of Phoenix.  Then our history began when they met and married and eventually had four children.  I was one of them.  But the struggle to survive wasn't over yet.  The United States was brought into World War II after the Japanese attack at Pearl Harbor.  Now my dad began his second great battle.  Survive the war in Europe and come home to his family.  He did survive and returned home.  For that I am truly grateful because I wouldn't have been able to tell this story since I wouldn't have been born!  As the saying goes..."adversity makes you strong."  My mom and dad were strong people and I am truly proud of both of them.  They walked through a bad storm and didn't quit walking once the storm ended.  For that I am grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment