Sunday, November 15, 2020

Blessing #8 of 30

 I am so thankful for Pilgrims and Pioneers!  While in New England grandpa and I visited the replica of the Mayflower and saw Plymouth Rock.  I had no idea at the time that I actually had an ancestor who was on that ship.  His name was John Alden and he was 22 years old.  I am related to him through my Grandpa Hickey's line.  John was a cooper and crew member on the Mayflower.  After arriving in America, he signed the Mayflower Compact and decided to stay rather than return to England.  According to the information I got he performed extensive public service for the colony, serving in roles such as Treasurer and Assistant Governor.  He married a fellow passenger named Priscilla Mullins in 1623 and they had 10 children.  He died in 1687 in Duxbury, Massachusetts at the age of 88.  When he died he was the last surviving signer of the Mayflower Compact.   

Grandpa had a relative who was one of the original pioneers who crossed the plains and came into the Salt Lake Valley. His history said he went back 21 times by Ox team to help other saints emigrate to the Valley.  His name was Homer Duncan and he was your Great grandpa Duncan's grandfather.  He was born in 1815 at McIndoe Falls, Vermont (we visited the area while on our mission)  He married Asenath Banker and together they had 10 children.  He was called to go to Cedar City, Utah and help develop iron production in the area.  He eventually came back to Salt Lake and was a farmer there.  He died in 1906 a the age of 90.  The courage and  fortitude that was required to do such a monumental undertaking by both the Pilgrim and the Pioneer is truly inspiring to me and I hope for you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment